Recalculation when comment added or changed

Here is a little suggestion: it would be nice to somehow differentiate two totally different use cases of comments:

1. When user comments a meaningful line of code, which may somehow change following workbook workflow.
  2. When user adds just a line of text for clarification purpose only.

Here is why I think it might be quite important:
In the peace of code below I add some reminder for my future self about how the sklearn function works.

It causes recalculation of all cells below, which is not efficient and also may take a while. If every calculation takes for instance 20 mins the user will be really unhappy to wait for 20 more mins just because he/she added a comment in one of the first cells.

It is also worth to mention, that now all cells recalculate even if the user do not add/remove comment, but just edit it, which seems pretty redundant to me.

1 Like

Hello, Sergey,

We’re working on smart evaluation to recalculate only dependent cells on any update and also there is a known feature request to not reevaluate code when user updates commented lines - I’ll upvote it, thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

We will definitely implement this feature. Thank you for your feedback!

Hello again!

I’m happy to announce that now code block isn’t recalculated when updating a comment, but please note that adding or deleting the comment will still trigger recalculation.

Hi!

Nice to hear that! Well done!

1 Like